Tips to Keep in Mind before Your Next Move
Moving soon and don't know where to start? You are not alone. As a longstanding Oklahoma City moving company, we have seen countless panicked faces when we show up for a move before the clients are ready. Assuming you don't want to be one of those panic-stricken residents when you move, there are some simple tricks you can try to make your move go as smoothly as possible.
Here are 10 tips to keep in mind before your next move.
- Schedule your move for the middle of the month. This is considered the "down time" for most Oklahoma City movers, so you're much more likely to get an appointment then.
- Verify the credentials of your moving company. You don't want to trust just anyone with your stuff. Make sure your moving company is licensed, insured, and fully equipped to handle the task at hand.
- Call to schedule your move in advance. If you wait until the last minute, there may not be an appointment available for you. We recommend calling at least a week in advance, preferably longer if you need a moving quote. That gives us time to set up the best crew possible for your move.
- Start packing early on. Most people assume they have less than they actually do. Pack up everything you don't need, and get boxes ready for last minute items. Then all you have to do is wake up and go on moving day.
- Clear a path for furniture. We try to get the big furniture into the truck as quickly as possible, so having a clear path from the start will let your movers get right to work.
- Put boxes in stacks of five. This is usually the perfect amount to fit on a dolly, so your movers can just scoop them up and go.
- Set up your utilities beforehand. The last thing you need is to have a brand new house with no air conditioning in the heat of summer. Call to schedule your utilities a couple days in advance, just to be on the safe side.
- Get the keys the day before. Don't wait until the day of the move to get the keys to your house or apartment. Remember that you have to pay for the time your Oklahoma City movers spend on the job, even if that means time you are gone getting keys.
- Set up a morning move. This may require an early wakeup call, but it will ensure you have a fresh crew to handle your move. In the summer months, this also helps everyone involved avoid heat exhaustion. The earlier you can book your move, the better.
- Don't try to move on your own. Yes, this will save you money, and we have no problem with that at all. You just have to think about all of the struggles that come with that kind of savings. Professional movers like the ones we have at Able Moving Company know what it takes to get a move done quickly and efficiently. Save your energy for the unpacking.
If you can follow the tips above for your next move, it is guaranteed to be a success. Good luck!